On Being Gifted in a Way That Isn’t Fast
I have spent most of my life feeling both aligned with and strangely out of phase with the standard definitions of intelligence. I have the test scores—high IQ, strong abstract reasoning, the usual statistical markers—but they have never felt like the right description of what is actually happening inside my mind. When I read Claus Volko’s article, “What is the real difference between average and gifted individuals?,” I felt an immediate recognition with the author’s claim about giftedness, that is, it being qualitatively different and generally and rather strangely, quantitatively higher. It was as if someone had finally articulated the quiet discrepancy I had lived with for decades.
My processing speed has always been slower than average. I do not excel at rapid-fire tasks, timed drills, or anything that rewards instantaneous recall. My rote memory is serviceable but not impressive. In school, this often made me look less capable than I was. I could understand the underlying structure of a concept long before I could perform the requisite procedural steps quickly enough to satisfy a teacher. I was the student who grasped the theorem but stumbled on the multiplication table. And yet, when I did reach understanding, it was not because I had memorized a sequence—it was because the idea had revealed itself as necessary, inevitable, almost obvious.
This is the distinction the author captures so well: giftedness is not about speed or storage capacity. It is about mode of comprehension. It is about the difference between learning a method and deriving it.
The Externalization Quotient (EOQ) is the first measure I have encountered that actually maps onto my lived experience. EOQ, as the author defines it, is a measure of how readily internal reasoning can be expressed externally—how easily the mind’s private architecture can be translated into language, diagrams, or explanations. High EOQ does not require fast processing or perfect memory. It requires a mind that builds structures rather than retrieves them.
My own EOQ has always been high. I can explain complex ideas with clarity even when I cannot perform the associated tasks quickly. I can articulate the logic of a system even when I cannot remember every detail of its implementation. This has been both a blessing and a source of misunderstanding. People assume that if you can explain something well, you must also be able to execute it rapidly. But the two abilities are not the same. One is architectural; the other is mechanical.
The author’s distinction between average and gifted individuals resonates deeply with this. Average learners, he argues, rely on explicit instruction. They need the steps laid out, the algorithm taught, the procedure demonstrated. Gifted individuals, by contrast, see the structure directly. They do not learn the algorithm; they discover it. What is taught as a method is experienced as a consequence.
This has been my experience with mathematics, physics, and even philosophy. I do not “learn” concepts in the conventional sense. I interrogate them until they reveal their internal necessity. Once I see the structure, I cannot unsee it. It becomes part of my cognitive landscape. But this process is slow. It is not efficient. It does not resemble the high‑speed pattern recognition that IQ tests reward. It is more like geological formation—layers building over time, each one supporting the next.
This is why the author’s critique of IQ testing feels accurate. IQ tests measure speed, pattern matching, and short‑term memory. They do not measure the ability to generate original structure. They do not measure the capacity to derive rather than recall. They do not measure EOQ.
And yet EOQ is precisely what distinguishes the gifted mind. It is the ability to take an internal insight and make it external—visible, communicable, usable. It is the ability to translate intuition into architecture.
When I reflect on my own life, the moments that felt most “gifted” were never the ones where I performed well on a test. They were the moments where I saw something others did not see: a hidden symmetry, a conceptual shortcut, a structural flaw in an argument, a pattern that was not taught but was simply there. These insights did not come quickly, but they came with a kind of inevitability. Once the structure appeared, it was obvious.
This is why I agree with the author’s central claim: giftedness is not a matter of degree. It is a matter of kind. It is not a faster version of average cognition. It is a different cognitive architecture altogether.
EOQ captures this difference. It measures the ability to externalize internal reasoning, to make private insight public. It is the metric that explains why someone like me—slow processor, imperfect memorizer, but deeply structural thinker—can be both misunderstood by conventional measures and yet unmistakably gifted.
Giftedness, in this sense, is not about speed. It is about depth. It is not about memory. It is about structure. And it is not about performing algorithms. It is about generating them.
In that way, I finally recognize myself.
Kenneth Myers
Comments
Post a Comment