Perspectives for Geniuses

Many publications about gifted people focus on children. On the one hand, child prodigies pose a well-studied subject of research; on the other, there are also reports about underachievers who don't do well at school despite their intellect. But what has been neglected so far is the lives of gifted adults. What do gifted children do when they reach the official age of maturity? In what professions do they work? How do they earn their livings?

My subjective view: Gifted people, especially those with a genius-level IQ (140 or higher), are definitely a fringe group. They are heterogenous but have some characteristics in common, such as being quick on the uptake and being able to think logically. I used to believe that academia would be the domain of geniuses. As a matter of fact, some notable child prodigies such as Norbert Wiener and Terence Tao became university professors. But these are exceptions: In reality, as Michael Wells Ferguson wrote in his legendary essay "The Inappropriately Excluded", chances to become a university professor seem to peak at an IQ of 135. By 140, they have already sunken by two thirds, according to Ferguson. My late friend and mentor Dr. Uwe Rohr also kept saying that universities aren't interested in hiring the highly gifted, except in a few subjects such as mathematics. So a lot of geniuses don't make a career in academia.

For some time, the IT industry has served as an alternative employer of geniuses. People with highly developed reasoning abilities were sought for as software engineers. But this has recently started to change because of the enormous progress artificial intelligence has made. Average minds can now use vibe coding to craft software.

So what do we really need geniuses for? Apparently for nothing particular. High intellectual ability seems to be more of something to be enjoyed in private than something that helps you make a career.

I was an excellent student, but disliked rote memorization. I often felt understimulated at school and longed for being confronted with concepts more difficult to grasp, rather than extra material to be memorized. In fact theoretical computer science was the only subject I really enjoyed studying.

Actually I think my knowledge of theoretical computer science would be good enough to teach others about it at university. But I'm not sure if I'd be an equally good researcher in this subject.

The fact that I'm working in the private sector as a software engineer shows that academia hasn't been interested in employing me. However, I do enjoy my job, and it's well-paid. So there isn't really much to regret, especially considering that Austrian universities employ personnel only on basis of temporary contracts while I have a permanent contract in the private sector. Personally, I'm well-off - but that doesn't go for all geniuses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note about Mensa

Beyond IQ: Why We Should Measure the Intelligence of Expression

The Technological Republic